Why can I not order any small buckwheat hull pillows right now?
We do apologize but we are currently out of stock. Please do check back later.
Do you ship to the USA?
We sure do and we only charge you what it costs us! Orders destined to the USA are shipped via Canada Post Expedited service or UPS, at our cost. USA orders are billed in USD dollars, so no exchange on your credit card statement.
Do you ship to Canada?
We sure do! Please visit out site at www.perfectpillow.com to place your order. Canadian orders are shipped via Expedited Canada Post. Canadian orders are billed in CDN dollars.
What’s wrong with my regular pillow?
First, most pillows do not let your neck muscles relax therefore misaligning the spine. Second, many synthetic fiber, foam and feather pillows contain one or more of the following chemicals/preservatives: formaldehyde, UV inhibitors, antifungal agents, stabilizers and plasticizers! Every night we breathe in these chemicals. Third, after your regular pillow’s useful life, the pillow, along with any chemicals present, enter our landfills and continue to off-gas. Hull pillows have a life span of approx. 5-7 years, and can be disposed of in your composter, garden or flowers.
Why buckwheat hulls?
Buckwheat is not a grain like wheat, but a fruit (fagopyrum esculentum), related to the rhubarb family. The hulls are the husks that protect the buckwheat seed from the elements of nature. We use “fluffy” buckwheat hulls which are cleaned through an exclusive process of screen sifting and vacuuming. These fluffy hulls allow air to constantly circulate, therefore keeping your pillow cool. Hulls conform to the exact contours of your head, neck, shoulders and spine providing a passive support and a correctly aligned spine.
Why no zippers?
We chose to have NO zippers. There are two reasons for this:
- First, new users tend to want to start adjusting the amount of hulls right from the start. Too much filling will make the pillow feel hard, too firm and provide too much support, while not enough filling will make the pillow too flat with not enough hulls to provide proper support.
- Our amounts have been "tried and tested". We have used the same amount of filling for all products for the last 17 years and are pretty sure our customers will agree. We determined these amounts through consultation with various health professionals for their input as to proper head, neck and back alignment while sleeping.
Are the buckwheat hulls Certified Organic?
No. We have hand-picked our growers and mill and personally stand behind the superior quality of our buckwheat hulls and that they are North-American grown, all natural with no chemicals or preservatives added. To be quite honest, Organic Certification is quite expensive and which organization do you choose from, as there are so many.
Do buckwheat hull pillows make noise?
Yes, the hulls move against each other, but only when adjust your position to get comfortable. Clients state that when using our buckwheat hull pillows they toss and turn less as they are more comfortable as they are now receiving the proper support.
How long does it take to get used to?
The average is 2-3 nights. However, it can take up to one week to become accustomed to your new hull pillow. Customers state that after 1 week of use they cannot sleep on anything else! You must remember that you are, in most cases, drastically changing your sleeping position. Most use too many pillows or not enough. With a hull pillow, you will be aligning your head, neck and spine in the proper position which helps muscles relax.
How do I use a buckwheat hull pillow?
Fluff up your pillow towards the center. Lie down, pull the pillow down just to your shoulders (but shoulders not on the pillow) and then nestle your head to fit. If you feel like you need a little more filling under your neck, just move push some more hulls wherever needed with your hand(s).
How do I clean my buckwheat hull pillow?
Let ‘Mother Nature’ sanitize, deodorize and renew your hull pillow by placing in direct sunlight (indoors or outdoors) for 2-3 hours every 2-3 months. You double pillow case your hull pillow for added protection. Discoloration of the cotton casing will occur over time due to the natural color of the hulls. If the pillow casing requires cleaning, open up the end seam, empty hulls, wash/dry cover, replace hulls and sew up seam. This is usually the time when you should start thinking about replacing.
- To sanitize, deodorize and renew your natural buckwheat hull products, place in direct sunlight for 2 hours every couple of months.
- Do not wash buckwheat hull products, only the removable covers. Wash in cool water and hang to dry. All material used is 100% cotton.
- Hulls will naturally discolour cotton over time. To wash cover, open the 'outside seam' located on one end, empty buckwheat hulls, wash cover in cool water, hang to dry, using a funnel, return hulls and sew up seam.
- To obtain the optimum "cooling effect", choose 100% cotton cases and covers. Do not cover any buckwheat hull products with plastic. Hulls are natural, therefore need to 'breathe'.
- Every hull product carries a one year warranty on workmanship.
- Heating hull products is NOT recommended for safety reasons.
- Products are NOT recommended infant use for safety reasons.
- For medical related questions, please consult your health provider.