Why Buckwheat Hulls?
HISTORY OF BUCKWHEAT
Buckwheat is not a grain like wheat, but a fruit (fagopyrum esculentum) related to the rhubarb. The hulls are the husks that protect the buckwheat kernel (seed) from the various elements of nature. Our buckwheat is 100% Canadian grown without chemicals or pesticides and no preservatives are added.
Although you may find that buckwheat hull pillows vary greatly in price, here are some reasons why:
The de-hulling process used:
"Fluffy" hulls are of superior quality. When the 3-sided shell of the buckwheat is de-hulled (removing the shell from the seed) it should end up in 2 pieces; 1 piece should be 1 sided, and the other should be 2 sided. The 2-sided ones are what we call the fluffy ones, which offer a better cushioning effect. Inferior buckwheat hull pillows may have only the single sided hulls, which tends to make the pillow hard. Using the entire seed with the shell as filling will definitely soon have dust mites/bugs and bacteria/mold. The quality of the buckwheat hulls used as filling usually determines the selling price.
The cleanliness of the buckwheat hulls:
Clean buckwheat hulls are of superior quality. We use a 3 step cleaning process to ensure there is no seed, stalk, chaffe or other debris present in the buckwheat hulls. Buckwheat hulls are an inert substance meaning it has no nutritional value and also will not burn. If you find seeds or other debris within your buckwheat hull pillow, you will probably start to get dust mites as well as mold growth.
Source of cotton and raw materials:
We use only North American raw materials; 100% cotton and 100% pure all natural buckwheat hulls. Beware of imported buckwheat hull pillows as most have been treated with chemicals before they reach you. Our buckwheat hulls have no pesticides, preservatives or chemicals added. We hand-pick our growers and processors.
Advantages of buckwheat hulls as a natural pillow filling
- In North America, products containing buckwheat hulls are being prescribed by health care professionals for the relief of neck and back pain, headaches/migraines, muscle tension, snoring, cervical and lumbar sublaxation, sleeplessness and TMJ syndrome. Night sweats from illness and menopause have been noted to be greatly reduced.
- We believe that you should not be exposed to chemicals when you are sleeping. Most synthetic fibre, foam and feather pillows have formaldehyde, UV inhibitors, antifungal agents, stabilizers, plasticers, etc... added. All products are chemical free.
- Foam pillows are made from a petroleum product. Hull pillows are 100% pure and have no chemicals or preservatives added.
- The most important quality for the relief of discomfort is that the hulls conform to the exact contours of your head, neck, shoulders and spine providing a passive support.
- The same amount of support is provided for all areas of the head and neck minimizing the stress on all areas of support. Other filling materials which compress, try to recover their original shape and this puts stress on the muscles of the neck.
- The buckwheat hull filling has a "cooling effect". The hulls tend to curl when moisture (perspiration) is introduced, leaving increased paths for air circulation. If you want to cool off fast, just turn the product over. 100% cotton coverings should be used to achieve the desired effect.
- The hull products have the ability to adjust to individual needs. Just fluff up and burrow to fit. When sleeping, keep the pillow tight to the shoulders. Adjusting to the buckwheat hull pillows may take a few nights, just as it would any new pillow.
- The hulls lasts for many years. Long after other pillows have collapsed and worn out, the hull pillow will still be fully functional. Estimated life expectancy is 7-10 years. The hulls may discolour the cotton cover, which is normal as it is a natural product..
- All products are 100% pure and have no chemicals or preservatives added and are non-allergenic. An exclusive cleaning process uses screen sifting and vacuum cleaning.
- To sanitize, deodorize and renew your natural buckwheat hull products, place in direct sunlight for 2 hours every couple of months.
- Do not wash buckwheat hull products, only the removable covers. Wash in cool water and hang to dry. All material used is 100% cotton.
- Hulls will naturally discolour cotton over time. To wash cover, open the 'outside seam' located on one end, empty buckwheat hulls, wash cover in cool water, hang to dry, using a funnel, return hulls and sew up seam.
- To obtain the optimum "cooling effect", choose 100% cotton cases and covers. Do not cover any buckwheat hull products with plastic. Hulls are natural, therefore need to 'breathe'.
- Every hull product carries a one year warranty on workmanship.
- Heating hull products is NOT recommended for safety reasons.
- Products are NOT recommended infant use for safety reasons.
- For medical related questions, please consult your health provider.